ubi went blue??

Anything support related, problems with your Ubi, setup, portal, support site, forum, etc. Bug reports can go here too. If you are experiencing problems, start here in the FAQ.

AuthorPost

Re: ubi went blue??

mattman

Post Posted » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm

ubiname1 wrote:
Leor wrote:Trying to come up with some hackable instructions that would make it easy to have DIY fix or replacement of the internal Mini PC.

Picking up a bunch of the Mini PCs soon and trying to see if we can get some easy instructions for replacing in the field.

Wow THANK YOU. I THOUGHT NOBODY CARED! I will hold out for a fix . leor thank you sir.

Hi Leor,

One of my 3 UBIs has also turned blue and won't initialize properly. Being that UBI is Android based, is the normal process to re-image one by holding in a button on the UBI somewhere then getting in to Recovery mode?

If so, is there also an image file I could download and try to image my blue UBI, and where is the reset button? Am happy to post instructions if it works for me.

Please advise.

Kind regards,

Matt

notgreg

Post Posted » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, it is a hardware problem. So re-flashing wont fix it. It is one, or possibly both, of the internal flash based hard drives that has died, so you can't load anything on there.

mattman

Post Posted » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:22 pm

notgreg wrote:Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, it is a hardware problem. So re-flashing wont fix it. It is one, or possibly both, of the internal flash based hard drives that has died, so you can't load anything on there.

Hi notgreg,

Thanks for your reply. Just wondering how you know it is definitely a Flash ROM that has failed and not a boot loop or corrupted image? Also, maybe the ROM chip can be replaced on the main-board?

I realize that the hardware will no longer be supported by the UCIC team, so was wanting information so passionate users could 'hack / fix' the UBI since the hardware is being abandoned by it's creators.

Why not (as a good will gesture) help the user community by providing information on the hardware (disassembly, imaging, etc.) and providing image files so users can repair if they have the knowledge which can then be shared on these forums?

Sounds like a good alternative to an all out abandonment on the hardware side by UCIC.

What are other people's thoughts on the user community starting to help troubleshoot the hardware?

Knowledge is power people ;)

Kind regards,

Matt

notgreg

Post Posted » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:13 am

Hi Matt,

If you connect a working ubi to your computer, you can see 2 hard drives from df -h output. These are the flash based ones. If you connect your blue ubi, you will only see one. And in about 2 months or so, you will see none.

After the first hd goes, the ubi software hangs, as some software is now missing (IVONA TTS). Then, once the second flash hd goes, libraries and other critical Android software starts to fail, and then the kernel crashes. From that point on, you will only get about 30 seconds to 2 minutes of computer connectivity (via the USB port), before the process repeats.

You wont be able to re-flash the rikomagic OS on the mini pc and install the ubi software, as the hardware is dead. No hard drives.

Just my experience.

mattman

Post Posted » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 am

Hi notgreg,

Thanks for your reply and the benefit of your experience. Wow! Alas poor UBI, I knew her well.

RIP UBI. :cry: