Changes to Hardware Support and Returns

Anything support related, problems with your Ubi, setup, portal, support site, forum, etc. Bug reports can go here too. If you are experiencing problems, start here in the FAQ.

AuthorPost

Changes to Hardware Support and Returns

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello Ubi backers,

I realize it's been difficult with some of the Ubi's turning blue and no good way to get them up and running.

We are completely out of Ubi's and are no longer manufacturing them. We're still committed to keeping the back end of the Ubi's up and running and allowing continued testing / applications. We've moved away from consumer electronics hardware and now provide services and tools to integrate voice into hardware.

That said, since we are no longer making Ubi's and have no inventory of them, we are no longer able to accept any Ubi's for return / repairs.

Some of the Ubi's in the field are now more than two years old. We're seeing the hardware "naturally" wear down after their continued operations. Once these go, we aren't able to cover them any longer and there's no easy fix.

Some of the OS service changes have also caused issues. We'll try to continue to post fixes, but have limited ability to do walk-through's / remote setup of devices.

Relating to music playing, some older devices are having problems with our SoundCloud integration. The first Ubi's shipped are running a different ROM that cannot be remotely updated.

Over time, we do see the possibility for other issues popping up. We'll continue to work to keep the Ubi's functional as long as possible while we work on new tools for implementing voice.

With this, I hope that we can continue to post here potential solutions that we all find in interacting with our Ubi's.

Sincerely,

Leor and Ubi Team (especially Angela - our support angel!)

Re: Changes to Hardware Support and Returns

saxnixUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:58 pm

It is very sad that the business hasn't been able to succeed. I purchased 5 Ubi's of which only 2 are working. I had envisioned Ubi to be the center of my automated home. I guess I will have to spend another $1,000 in the hope that Echo will do the job, but from what I have read, although it provides a better hardware solution, that environment doesn't yet have connectivity that Ubi does.

I wish you the best in the future, but am very disappointed as there were great possibilities.
I want the lifestyle The Jetson's and Back to the Future II promised me...

Currently have;
Ubi, LIFX bulbs, Doorbot
Waiting for;
LIFX (GU10 downlights), WigWag, SmartPlug, Neurio, Plugaway, Lockitron, Filterwatch

ubiname1

Post Posted » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:50 pm

I am very disappointed I wanted my music back and was told ubi replacement in two weeks???

vmsman

Post Posted » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:07 pm

I have been pretty successful in overcoming the "blue light special". I am also working on an alternative to play music tracks. It might take awhile but I think that the flexibility exists in the Ubi Cloud to allow us an awful lot of control. I have 3 Ubis. Two of mine are the oldest and one is a newer model. The newer one plays music and the other two do not. I also have one Amazon Echo. The Echo has flexibility and promise but the Ubi portal honestly goes a step beyond in control.

Things I do with my Ubi:

1. Control lights that are Zwave, Philips Hue, and Wemo
2. Control my Chamberlain garage door openers and chamberlain light switch (via smartthings)
3. Read and react to sensors for temperature, humidity, open/close, and vibration (via smartthings)
4. Trigger Ubi responses thru Pebblebee Stone switches.
5. Control my family room and my bedroom entertainment centers thru Logitech Harmony hubs.
6. Control my Sonos in my master bath and master bedroom thru Ubi commands to smarthings virtual switches to play/pause, adjust volume, and select pandora and tunein radio stations by voice command.
7. Play/Pause both my Roku 3 and Roku 4 thru Ubi commands.
8. Trigger commands to arm/disarm my alarm system via smartthings
9. Change colors of my Philips Hue lights with IFTTT recipes triggered from Ubi.
10. Play sound bits in response to utterances off a local web server.
11. Developing a method to play voice mail off my Ooma VoiP phone cloud service.
12. Adjust my NEST thermostat via Ubi voice commands.
13. Use an IFTTT rule to call my IFTTT number and have Ubi speak the message I leave.

It goes on and on. Right now I have about 140 Ubi lessons defined, 75 IFTTT recipes, 55 Smart Things switches, 11 SmartApps, and 8 custom device handlers in SmartThings.

Jetsons house bleh! I have the Star Trek Bridge computer.

Scott

celblazer

Post Posted » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Scott,

The Echo can do everything on that list. The pebble is the only thing I don't know about. But with smartthings, and Ifttt. Only downside is getting The Echo to give feedback but there is a way to do it through smartthings and a tablet or phone using bluetooth.

I'm slowly shifting completely to my Echo's as I only use the Ubi's for announcements but shifting them over now since there is a way to have Echo do them now. And now knowing hardware support for Ubi is dead means I can't rely on it for the long term. The harmony and smartthings integration is amazing.

cag014

Post Posted » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:29 am

May I ask how long you''ll continue to support the web site to keep UBI a live?

cag014

Post Posted » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 am

celblazer wrote:Scott,

The Echo can do everything on that list. The pebble is the only thing I don't know about. But with smartthings, and Ifttt. Only downside is getting The Echo to give feedback but there is a way to do it through smartthings and a tablet or phone using bluetooth.

I'm slowly shifting completely to my Echo's as I only use the Ubi's for announcements but shifting them over now since there is a way to have Echo do them now. And now knowing hardware support for Ubi is dead means I can't rely on it for the long term. The harmony and smartthings integration is amazing.

Is Echo able to support Z-wave controllers?

vmsman

Post Posted » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Yes, Echo supports Z-wave in virtue of the fact that it supports Smartthings. Echo is still inflexible in regards to having to remember some very specific skill words. For example, Echo can execute IFTTT recipes, but it does so thru the keyword "trigger". I feel like this makes the natural language support on Echo a bit disjointed. Also, the Ubi HTTP access in lessons really bridges the gap for controlling less common devices. I agree that the Echo is getting there but they need something more like Ubi's lessons rather than just the basic "skills".

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:57 am

@ubiname1 - yes, we're still working on that. Going forward, we won't be able to ship out new ones.

We have no plans to discontinue connectivity or online support for the Ubi anytime soon. The business still continues, even if we've moved from manufacturing hardware.

We are actually working on a few things related to echo that we hope to announce here in the coming months.

saxnixUser avatar

Post Posted » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Happy to hear you will still be supporting the Ubi for the forseeable future, and very interested to hear more on the things related to Echo.
I want the lifestyle The Jetson's and Back to the Future II promised me...

Currently have;
Ubi, LIFX bulbs, Doorbot
Waiting for;
LIFX (GU10 downlights), WigWag, SmartPlug, Neurio, Plugaway, Lockitron, Filterwatch

ubiname1

Post Posted » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you for supporting me and follow through with your commitment to me.. Will look to hear from you soon.

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks @ubiname1... just a few more days until we can turn it around back to you.

RedRamage

Post Posted » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:08 pm

FWIW,

I really enjoyed Ubi for a while. I switched to Echo a few months back and haven't looked back since. There are some deficiencies in Echo to be sure, but there's also some pluses.

What Echo does really well:
Hearing and understanding: Echo can hear me and understanding from much great distances and with much higher levels of background noise.

Zero false triggers: Okay, well maybe one every other month or so... but generally speaking Echo only responds when talked too. Ubi seemed to false trigger multiple times a day.

Sound quality: Echo sounds just fantastic. Now, to be fair I'm not a audiophile... so take my comments here with a grain of salt, but I love the way Echo sounds and regularly use it to play music. I never did this with Ubi because the speakers were lacking.

Smooth integration with SmartThings device names: You don't have to setup a lesson for each device you want to control. Just say: Alexa, turn on the [device name].

And speaking of commands: I love not having to wait for Echo. Just say "Alexa," and then the command... you don't have to say "Okay Ubi." wait for the beep, and then state the command.

But, all that said... Echo does certainly have it's limitations too!
No custom commands: Check that, limited custom commands: Now that there is an Alexa channel in Ifttt, you can do pseudo custom commands, but (as mentioned above) you have to proceed the command with 'trigger.' This (also mentioned above by someone) limits the natural language feel. With Ubi I could have custom lesson and say: "Okay Ubi... open my garage door." With Echo it's "Alexa, trigger my garage door open." Plus, because all custom commands are routed through IFTTT there's more room for errors and delays.

No custom phrases: It's impossible to get Echo to say a custom phrase. Okay, this isn't entirely true either, but in order to that you basically have to setup you own back end server and develop an Alexa Skill. Clearly NOT something the average consumer would even be capable of doing let alone willing to do. And yeah, I know you can "cheat" by having a phrase get sent to an android tablet and use Echo as a bluetooth speaker (I'm doing that right now) but that's not having Echo say the phrase. That's having another device say the phrase and Echo is just a speaker.

So... there's my long post. I love Echo's hardware... from the looks to the mics to the speakers... top notch all around. But I miss some of the more customization options Ubi provided.

ubiname1

Post Posted » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Leor wrote:Thanks @ubiname1... just a few more days until we can turn it around back to you.

I am still waiting for ubi. leor you are talking to ubiname1 I have not been contacted ??

bibulb

Post Posted » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:02 am

Having gotten the blue ring of death and given the statement of "no repairs/no replacements", I opened my Ubi up (skinning some knuckles in the process), and hooked it up to an HDMI display, where :
It gets power, blue light comes on, and two Tux penguins appear on the screen. After about two-three (I didn't specifically time it), the screen blanks, the ring flashes off-then-back-to-blue, then two penguins again, and repeat.

Do you have any idea what happened - did y'all manage to brick the mini PC inside on an update? If so, is it possible to reflash the firmware on this, and if that's possible do you have a previous edition of the firmware to reflash it to, or any other suggestions as to what to do?