UBI/Echo interaction.

Development related questions, API questions and documentation, questions about integration, API/custom behaviour suggestions, how-to documents and all the nitty gritty.

AuthorPost

UBI/Echo interaction.

Bryce

Post Posted » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Heya folks...

Although they might be competitors, I think the Ubi and the Echo might work quite well together in creating a smart house. I just ordered an Echo which will be arriving to-morrow, and I want to see how well I can get them to talk to one another. I'm going to use IFTTT to start with and then see what other ways I can use.

Why?

The Echo has better "ears" than the UBI...bar none. I don't expect a small but agile company like UCIC to compete with Amazon in the raw hardware of the mic array that they can deliver cheaply on the Echo. However, the UBI has a better "brain" than the Echo and do a lot more. I want to see if I can get them to use their strengths together.

Has anyone else tried this? I warn you that I am only a sporadic dabbler. I'm still playing with my last project of getting the UBI to talk to the Philips Hub directly, so don't refresh the thread looking for progress every 5 minutes...but I will try to keep things updated.

This is kinda an exciting time to live to be playing with the ground floor of this technology.

-b

Re: UBI/Echo interaction.

Bryce

Post Posted » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Hah! Maybe I should have checked to see what Alexa can do on IFTTT before. It's kinda limited...no utterance triggers like the UBI...which means it's time to roll up the sleeves.

Luckily, I have real world experience in getting twins who don't like one another sometimes to work together :D

-b

jelc29@gmail.com

Post Posted » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Interesting Idea! What would be your use case?

saxnixUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 pm

@Bryce, this really is an interesting idea and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck with your experiments.
I want the lifestyle The Jetson's and Back to the Future II promised me...

Currently have;
Ubi, LIFX bulbs, Doorbot
Waiting for;
LIFX (GU10 downlights), WigWag, SmartPlug, Neurio, Plugaway, Lockitron, Filterwatch

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:39 pm

I've had Ubi speak to Echo. It's definitely weird! It's a bit of an analog integration between the devices, but if you place Ubi in proximity to Echo, you could have it re-order from Amazon Prime or access some of the other features and add from the Ubi Portal rules.