VNC Support - Heads up

Development related questions, API questions and documentation, questions about integration, API/custom behaviour suggestions, how-to documents and all the nitty gritty.

AuthorPost

VNC Support - Heads up

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:22 pm

A quick note on here as we got some requests for fixes after some some VNC explorations went amiss. While the VNC capability is there, it's highly risky and can brick the device if something goes wrong. It's not recommended!

What is recommended is playing through the portal! That's where much of our work is focused.

Re: VNC Support - Heads up

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Wouldn't it be more simple to access the Ubi through the localhost instead of the VNC?
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:52 am

It would... building this out.

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Leor,

Has there been any headway on this? I do not want to risk bricking my Ubi however at the same time I still want to access Ubi's Android O/S via VNC.
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:01 am

We are but not quite there yet. Want to be careful we have things working well under the covers before we open it up more. Basically, we have a command line type of input for the Ubi that would be similar to AskUbi type of inputs. This could make things much simpler.

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 am

Dominique wrote:I do not want to risk bricking my Ubi however at the same time I still want to access Ubi's Android O/S via VNC.

Hi Dom,
Just don't be messin with root access, or anything STT/TTS releated :D We do indeed take over the recognizer in our software so tinkering with Google Now or trying to enable it with Ubi can cause some problem. Anything else you should be ok.

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am

Jason wrote:
Dominique wrote:I do not want to risk bricking my Ubi however at the same time I still want to access Ubi's Android O/S via VNC.

Hi Dom,
Just don't be messin with root access, or anything STT/TTS releated :D We do indeed take over the recognizer in our software so tinkering with Google Now or trying to enable it with Ubi can cause some problem. Anything else you should be ok.

Well that is a relief, good thing you mentioned it. I would have messed with the TTS voice. Thanks Jason.

mlava

Post Posted » Mon May 25, 2015 2:22 am

Hi Leor and Jason,

I am looking forward to my replacement Ubi arriving in Australia.
I have previously used VNC to get into my last Ubi and install tasker, AutoRemote etc.

I want to know what is safe to do via VNC and what isn't.
If I leave STT and TTS alone, is that all? Can I update Google Play Services? Install apps from the Play Store? Update Google Search?

Or is it best to just try to sideload tasker/autoremote/other autoapps and be done with it?
My intended use of the Ubi would be dependent on AutoRemote and Tasker integrations. See also here and here for some early explorations...

Thanks in advance,
Mark