SmartThings Multisensor Vibration Detection...

Development related questions, API questions and documentation, questions about integration, API/custom behaviour suggestions, how-to documents and all the nitty gritty.

AuthorPost

SmartThings Multisensor Vibration Detection...

thecolor

Post Posted » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Can we get a trigger option on SmartThings multi-sensors for "vibration"?

I have several "multi-sensors".. not just "open and close states... but temp, vibration and open close.

I use one of these for a Laundry indicator (when it's done based on stopped vibration for X time) and one for a "knock on the front door (as well as it being opened).

Right now I run it through a few things, smartThings, my phone and then UBI to identify / say when it's done and needs checking (attention).

Being able to have UBI mention that the laundry is done without these extra workarounds would be great! :D

Re: SmartThings Multisensor Vibration Detection...

RedRamage

Post Posted » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:10 pm

A little simpler work around, until they get a direct trigger, would be to turn on/off a virtual tile in smartthings and have Ubi watch for that.

thecolor

Post Posted » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:27 pm

RedRamage wrote:A little simpler work around, until they get a direct trigger, would be to turn on/off a virtual tile in smartthings and have Ubi watch for that.

Is virtual tile the same as vibration? This multi sensor is always in the closed position since I only use it to detect vibration (not motion or open /close).

RedRamage

Post Posted » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Sorry... I wasn't real clear there.

What I mean is create a virtual on/off button tile (in the SmartThings IDE) then set up a SmartApp (or maybe you can do it from the dashboard, never tried) so that when Vibration stops, it turns on this Virtual On/Off tile. Ubi watches the tile and then says something when the tile goes on.

I use this setup for a couple of different "complex" interactions I've built with Ubi. When I say 'Goodnight' to Ubi, Ubi turns on a Virtual Tile. This triggers a smart app to check if any selected doors or windows are left open... if they are this triggers one or two other virtual tiles. Ubi watches those tiles and then reports: "A windows is open" or "A door is open" based on which (if either) virtual tile is on.

A very important final step is that the smart app, after waiting a few minutes, turns off all the virtual tiles in question so that it's all set for next evening.

thecolor

Post Posted » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:51 pm

RedRamage wrote:Sorry... I wasn't real clear there.

What I mean is create a virtual on/off button tile (in the SmartThings IDE) then set up a SmartApp (or maybe you can do it from the dashboard, never tried) so that when Vibration stops, it turns on this Virtual On/Off tile. Ubi watches the tile and then says something when the tile goes on.

I use this setup for a couple of different "complex" interactions I've built with Ubi. When I say 'Goodnight' to Ubi, Ubi turns on a Virtual Tile. This triggers a smart app to check if any selected doors or windows are left open... if they are this triggers one or two other virtual tiles. Ubi watches those tiles and then reports: "A windows is open" or "A door is open" based on which (if either) virtual tile is on.

A very important final step is that the smart app, after waiting a few minutes, turns off all the virtual tiles in question so that it's all set for next evening.

hmm, clever. I've not gotten that far with changing many default things with my smartThings, but I will check into that. Sounds like it can add aLOT more potential.

One of my biggest challenges is detecting when my wife is home. She's VERY bad (almost refusing) to leave at least her BT or Wifi on so the house knows she's there. And she has SO many bags/purses, a smartThings tag wouldn't be cost effective... I'd have to buy like 50 (exzag) and sew them into her bags so they were in every bag regardless and figure some way to ignore the ones that are left behind. :|

She HATES it when I setup tasker to turn on one of those radios when she's near. drives me insane. (not really), but it's frustrating.
I may have to tinker with "turn on wifi when location is reached, then as soon as the wifi is triggered (second time) turn it off. Our wifi reaches from our 5th story condo down to the street... so we always get aa false driving by. :(

RedRamage

Post Posted » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Have you tried using mobile presence in the SmartThings mobile app? Basically your phone, using the GPS, works as presence sensor. When you're inside of your defined geo-fence the MobileApp reports you (well, your phone) as present. When you're outside of it, it reports as away. No need for BT or WiFi to be on.

I know some people have had good luck with it and others have reported it as extremely temperamental, but worth trying.

thecolor

Post Posted » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:02 pm

RedRamage wrote:Have you tried using mobile presence in the SmartThings mobile app? Basically your phone, using the GPS, works as presence sensor. When you're inside of your defined geo-fence the MobileApp reports you (well, your phone) as present. When you're outside of it, it reports as away. No need for BT or WiFi to be on.

I know some people have had good luck with it and others have reported it as extremely temperamental, but worth trying.

I'm using it but with wifi. I'll have to check on the geofence.

brookeyoung

Post Posted » Thu May 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Any update on when we will get 'vibration' as a state? I'd love to use this with my ubi as well.

Brooke

thecolor wrote:Can we get a trigger option on SmartThings multi-sensors for "vibration"?

I have several "multi-sensors".. not just "open and close states... but temp, vibration and open close.

I use one of these for a Laundry indicator (when it's done based on stopped vibration for X time) and one for a "knock on the front door (as well as it being opened).

Right now I run it through a few things, smartThings, my phone and then UBI to identify / say when it's done and needs checking (attention).

Being able to have UBI mention that the laundry is done without these extra workarounds would be great! :D

millahjovich

Post Posted » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:08 am

A little simpler work around, until they get a direct trigger, would be to turn on/off a virtual tile in smartthings and have Ubi watch for that.
Hello I am Millah