So, will Ubi be tied with Google now? And other android stuf

Development related questions, API questions and documentation, questions about integration, API/custom behaviour suggestions, how-to documents and all the nitty gritty.

AuthorPost

So, will Ubi be tied with Google now? And other android stuf

skyhopper88

Post Posted » Wed May 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I just got my first Ubi (awaiting my new account to be fixed to have smartthings access... actually, Jason fixed it while I'm typing this up!).

I was wondering if Ubi was going to tie in to Google Now. It seems like every day Google adds a new feature to it via the cards, etc. I'm not sure what their API is like, if any, but I figured it may save UCIC a ton of dev time and let google do all the hard work :lol:

Also, since we're all in the Android ecosystem here, would there be any hope of tasker support? Tasker is an amazing android app that is essentially an android automation swiss army knife. I essentially was trying to roll my own Ubi on my nexus 5 with it. This could allow users to come up with their own recipes, again, letting us do the hard work instead of UCIC. An example of something I set up with tasker is

Me: Set the mood
Phone: Movie or romantic?
Me: Romantic
Phone: You sure? She looks out of your league!
Me: (I can say anything here) usually *&%^ you
Phone: I don't have a body, who do I look like Cortana? Calm down Casanova. Shall I play some Barry White?
Me:Sure.
Phone:Actually you may have better luck getting laid with Steve Miller Band, don't worry I got this.
*Hue lights turn to love scene (pink, blue, purple, red) and The Joker plays via my DLNA from my server)*

I'd like to offload this to my Ubi as soon as possible. ;)

Re: So, will Ubi be tied with Google now? And other android

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Believe it or not, Google doesn't have a Google Now/Google Search API, well not official atleast ;)

In time you will be able to apply logic to utterances, exactly like the example you have shown. It's half working for us so far, it's there but has tons of bugs and need to compensate for erroneous user input.

skyhopper88

Post Posted » Wed May 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot I have an xposed framework module that someone cobbled together as a Now API.

I'm intrigued at the music app. Is there a plan having Ubi act as a DLNA client for local media or tied in to music services like Pandora,Spotify, etc? With a little elbow grease I could see the Ubi masquerade as a Sonos:Play1 for just about the same cost. :D

Edit: Currently, is there a way to rearrange custom action order I'm not seeing? I set up scene triggers for my Smartthings but my response happens at the end. So when I do my lighting all off scene it responds long after each light popcorns off. Eventually I'd like to have Ubi call scenes or Smarttapps directly but it is early yet

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 am

I'm actually working on DLNA playback from the Ubi at home. Ubi actually has a DLNA server/client called eHomeMediaCenter but I installed BubbleUPnP to connect to my Twonky media server externally. The functionality is there. Next is to write a controller for Portal. Yes SoundCloud is not ideal but we have to pay quite a bit for any decent API access.

Currently no way to rearrange the order the requests are made, the custom behaviours is still early so we have much work to do on it. In the future we plan to have many many more features including this and timers.

skyhopper88

Post Posted » Thu May 08, 2014 8:49 pm

I've used bubble and twonky a bit, but not eHomeMediaServer. For my server I'm definitely a Plex man. I run an Amahi home server at my place for just about everything. Then there's my IP controlled audio/video stuff, but I digress. It's my goal to have Ubi be it's voice and my phone/tablet be its remote.

Have you looked into home automation controllers such as Smartthings or the MiCasaVerde Vera? In this case I don't mean hooking into them, but how they do "their thing". The Portal reminds me a great deal of these home automation systems, or at least the humble beginnings of one.

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 am

We want this feature too, I can almost guarantee you we will have it in place in the future. Yes, we have been watching youtube videos and buying similar products to try for our selves. Our setup is based on the chromecast's pre-automated setup process. Not sure we want to recreate the wheel with a DLNA client in our smart phone app, maybe some client library exists but you can already interace your DLNA server with apps such as BubbleUPnP and in fashion with great functionality. We will implement voice command playback.

skyhopper88

Post Posted » Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Sure, I don't think Ubi needs to reinvent any wheels, it just needs to be able to be extensible (like say Chrome(cast), firefox etc) and talk to other wheels that are already out there. The Vera and Smartthings have a nice plugin architecture that is great for this. The only pro I see in having a DLNA client on the Ubi is for local playback using it's speaker for kitchen listening, or synced singing in multiple zones without relying on the current music app (which I know is a WIP). What I'm getting at is I really don't want to pay for Sonos LOL

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:55 am

Your media server can now be actuated from UbiCC. It is your basic plain old DLNA DMC. Use it to tell your media player to stream to your smart tv for example.

xneo1

Post Posted » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:01 am

I am using DLNA with bubbleupnp on the Ubi too.I have connected it with my Samsung H5500W home theater via bluetooth and when I send music there it plays through home theater speakers because they are connected via BT.You can make a Tasker profile to actually do an auto BT connection.

I am not sure if I had it speak through the HT if it was connected that way.I will look into that and let you know.

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 am

@xneo1... any video? Would love to see that!

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:51 pm

skyhopper88 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot I have an xposed framework module that someone cobbled together as a Now API.

I'm intrigued at the music app. Is there a plan having Ubi act as a DLNA client for local media or tied in to music services like Pandora,Spotify, etc? With a little elbow grease I could see the Ubi masquerade as a Sonos:Play1 for just about the same cost. :D

Edit: Currently, is there a way to rearrange custom action order I'm not seeing? I set up scene triggers for my Smartthings but my response happens at the end. So when I do my lighting all off scene it responds long after each light popcorns off. Eventually I'd like to have Ubi call scenes or Smarttapps directly but it is early yet

I have 2 Ubi's. I rooted both of them so I can do the same. On my first one it worked great until it was stolen and damaged (i got it back) but on the 2nd one, rooting it completely bricked it. After the attempt, I could no longer connect. I do not know if it was really bricked, but I definitely couldn't connect after that after 3298749038247982347 attempts.

I do plan on getting Ubi again however I am reluctant to try and root it in fear it wont work again.
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:00 am

Please do not tamper with root access on Ubi.

By doing so you have a real potential to render Ubi broken, I really do not recommend tampering with the android system unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing. DO NOT install SuperSU or any other superuser app.

To feed your curiosity here why ;)
The system is already shell rooted, it must be like this to do root jobs without clikcing allow in a superuser app. This is simply done by using the appropriate su binary in /system/xbin. A root daemon is run on startup from initialization scripts, our software requests root to do a bunch of jobs, it will always succeed in gaining root access. If you try to root the Ubi (it is already rooted, both versions) and do it by using some 1-click software like KingoROOT, it overrides my su binary and pushes SuperSU or Superuser to /system/app. Someone then must click allow in the superuser app on Ubi through vnc, if you don't click allow then Ubi apps stop working. There's multiple apps that need root and they don't all fire off at the same time.

This kind of tampering can be caught with 1 adb/shell command and if we find this without declaring or somehow telling us that you did this, we would be obligated to not follow through with the replacement. The same rules apply for our phones/tablets from our favourite multi-billion dollar companies.

The next step is to completely lock down the device and remove any/all functionality not supported by our team. We don't want to do this, we want people to explore and learn but be warned here. Please don't touch root access.

Thanks.

skyhopper88

Post Posted » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:12 pm

I just came back to my Ubi after this topic months and months ago. All I can say it WOW

- ifttt support! awesome! Now I can make my Ubi have my Hue change colors and dim (though smartthings integration Ubi can only turn them on or off)

-The app seems really nice, especially with media player. I was hoping to be able to cast from other media apps as well. There was an app "cheapcast" that could turn any android device into a chromecast but it looks like Google killed it. Oh well.

-Also, I see that Google has been allowing 3rp party apps to access Google Now more than say, last year when I made this topic (cards and such). Has this road been looked at again?

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words!!

A few new things in the works too...