Great Idea Contest

Questions, comments, feature requests, anything and everything Ubi related. Post about how awesome your Ubi is or make a suggestion about what you think will take us there.

AuthorPost

Great Idea Contest

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Time to give away a free Ubi!

1. Submit your idea for the coolest integration/application of the Ubi in this thread.

2. We'll select the top 5 for voting on the forum starting February 6 at 5 PM EST.

3. Winner will be announced based on the top votes Feb 14 at 11:59 PM EST

Ta-dah!!

You guys are awesome.

Re: Great Idea Contest

pirate

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:26 pm

I would like to see Ubi integrated with Smart Home Security systems, like Piper, Canary, BeON, Point, Cocoon, Korner, and Kibbi.
It would be nice to say "Ubi, I'm going to work", and my house is armed automatically.

I also would like Ubi to be integrated with chatterbot, so that she will make a better companion to chat with.

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:39 pm

This thread from what I assume will be filled with great ideas however if Ubi wants to be truly unlocked to its maximum potential, Tasker needs to be integrated.

Remember this video that went viral a few years back? All this was done with Tasker.

Watch on youtube.com

With a Tasker integration, it will take advantage of the Android O/S and open Ubi up to things Leor or the dev team never even imagined.
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:42 pm

An integration with Skype would be a great idea. Skype has a public API so integration would not be difficult. This could also potentially replace the need for a home phone.

Imagine making dinner in the kitchen and you burn it. You tell Ubi, "Okay Ubi, call Pizza Hut".

Or perhaps you are in your office working on your computer and someone calls your Skype phone number and Ubi tells you...

"Sir, you have an incoming call, would you like me to answer it?"
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:20 pm

One word, Chromecast.

With Chromecast you could view what is going on with Ubi on your monitor or television. This could be an answer for doing away with the VNC Viewer.

Or, using Chromecast you could install XBMC onto Ubi and view media onto the television. Then you could give voice commands on what you wanted to do...

"Launch movies"

"Play movie"

"Play Big bang Theory"

Watch on youtube.com

You could also browse and watch YouTube videos with a Chromecast integration.

"Okay Ubi, search YouTube for puppies"

AMBark3r

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:53 pm

I have never seen that tasked video Dominique..... Jaw on floor.... The VR was 100%, perfect, flawlessly amazing.... And no video editing either....

My idea for an Ubi integration would be that... Get that quality VR!

Obviously that is not he intent of this contest....

In which case I would reasonably suggest ubi should BLUE TOOTH CONNECT TO CELL PHONES. Suggested earlier was Skype, I say blue tooth to all mobile cellular devices. And access your phones internal address book to make calls.

My 2012 car can do it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newbook

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Here are some things I would like to see:

1) two way talking between Ubi and Ubi, Ubi and phone, Ubi and app.

2) live radio streaming (e.g. iHeartRadio integration) and online mp3 streaming (e.g. NPR hourly news), and also the ability to pause/stop in the middle.

Also can you put the alarm to local, just like phone alarm and timer don'r rely on Internet?

saxnixUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:50 pm

+1 to the Ubi 2 way communication. This was actually one of the features I wanted to use the most - Ubi as an intercom.
I want the lifestyle The Jetson's and Back to the Future II promised me...

Currently have;
Ubi, LIFX bulbs, Doorbot
Waiting for;
LIFX (GU10 downlights), WigWag, SmartPlug, Neurio, Plugaway, Lockitron, Filterwatch

joshuatalley

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Honestly, what I'd like to see the most is Nest integration.

I bought a Protect just to see how well it worked, and am planning on getting another one. What a Nest+Ubi integration would do for me is allow the Nest to know temperatures in more rooms in order to properly balance my heating and cooling. That's one of the things that the Protect provides. It would just be nice to get my two Ubis doing the same kind of work.

Perhaps also tying into the sound or lighting might give the system a way to determine AutoAway status as well.

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:03 pm

joshuatalley wrote:Honestly, what I'd like to see the most is Nest integration.

I bought a Protect just to see how well it worked, and am planning on getting another one. What a Nest+Ubi integration would do for me is allow the Nest to know temperatures in more rooms in order to properly balance my heating and cooling. That's one of the things that the Protect provides. It would just be nice to get my two Ubis doing the same kind of work.

Perhaps also tying into the sound or lighting might give the system a way to determine AutoAway status as well.

This can already be done using www.IFTTT.com

You should look into it. :D

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm

AMBark3r wrote:I have never seen that tasked video Dominique..... Jaw on floor.... The VR was 100%, perfect, flawlessly amazing.... And no video editing either....

My idea for an Ubi integration would be that... Get that quality VR!

Obviously that is not he intent of this contest....

In which case I would reasonably suggest ubi should BLUE TOOTH CONNECT TO CELL PHONES. Suggested earlier was Skype, I say blue tooth to all mobile cellular devices. And access your phones internal address book to make calls.

My 2012 car can do it.....

Yes, Tasker is amazing. It is only on Android though. You should check into it, there are plenty of videos on Youtube about it.

The problem is, it isn't easy to learn how to use but certainly do-abe.

Here is one of the more well-known Tasker Youtubers.

Watch on youtube.com

The thing about voice recognition, Ubi is limited to what hardware it has on it. When it comes to voice rec, anything but a superior microphone will get poor results.

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:18 pm

In lieu of what was previously said in this thread about quality of voice recognition, I would like to suggest something similar to what Dragon NaturallySpeaking has. They use a smartphone as an additional microphone. The phone doubles as a mic to fire off Dragon commands. Granted they use this remote microphone as a separate entity [app] but still, the idea is golden.

Having Ubi do something similar is not only do-able (#AndroidPraise) , but could prove extremely beneficial.

jdeatschUser avatar

Post Posted » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:22 am

OR, dare I say it?

Just provide us with a retrofit of a better mic.

Something that plugs into the USB port perhaps? Double sided tape to the case of Ubi?

Surely this cannot be that difficult.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
. Scott Kalitta

djkerr01

Post Posted » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 am

1. Skype integration would be awesome but already noted.
2. Specific integration with a calendar/reminder app to allow specific Ubi alarms/notices.
3. Geofencing alarms. When specific user device enters a specific zone then Ubi makes an announcement. beyond was is available via smartthings (like announcing when my kids get to a specific location like their school...obviously you need a phone for this)
4. Not an integration but definitely on the list: specific user identification by voice: kids, wife, me to get specific commands or alerts
5. Fitness app integration to remind us of the number of steps we've taken or need to take (Health kit integration?).
6. bluetooth proximity detection for specific user devices. Allows specific alarms when a given device is near Ubi (e.g. Ubi says "You asked me to remind you to change the furnace filter on this date.") Could relate to #2 above as well.
7. Trigger a photo/video by command (like a drop cam photo). This way my kids could check in with me via Ubi and I get visual verification they are OK and not being held hostage...lol...paranoid much?). use the USB port??? :D
8. Integration with a weather app for weather alerts (tornado warning etc). Could also use multi step response like (Ubi announces " there is a new weather alert for your area. Would you like to hear it? **Yes/No*** response...etc.)
9. Integration with Traffic/navigation apps to calculate travel times to certain location (ask to Ubi "how long will it take me to drive to Work today?" etc...). Waze? Waze can send specific driving to specific users...why not announce on Ubi?
10 Integration with Workflow and/or Launch App
11. Alfred 2 Integration
12. Evernotes and/or Onenotes integration for making quick notes

Can't wait for...IOS Ubitalk! ;)

AMBark3r

Post Posted » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:53 am

3 and 8 are doable via IFTTT. I had these set up.

If wife leaves work, ubi speaks utterance

If wind exceeds Xmph, ubi speaks utterance

Every day at 6:00pm weather channel triggers ubi to speak tomorrow's forecast

Every morning at 6am weather channel triggers ubi to speak today's forecast