Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

Questions, comments, feature requests, anything and everything Ubi related. Post about how awesome your Ubi is or make a suggestion about what you think will take us there.

AuthorPost

Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Post Posted » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:23 am

Ubi Feature List

What can the Ubi do?
  • Look up quick facts, weather, traffic, stock prices
  • Send short text messages and emails
  • Set alarms and reminders
  • Play music on request
  • Remotely monitor the environment around the Ubi through our portal and perform an action based on a sensor value
  • Create custom behaviours, for example Ubi can say "May the force be with you" everytime you pass by it (done with ST motion Sensor)
  • Integrate with a SmartThings Device, you can tell ask Ubi to turn off the light, or have Ubi play music when you close your bathroom door
  • Integrate with outside apps using HTTP requests

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:19 pm

ok, I want this one!

Create custom behaviors, for example Ubi can say "May the force be with you" every time you pass by it

How do I interact with the motion sensor, fo serious!

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

xathrosUser avatar
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Republic of Vermont, USA

Post Posted » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 am

I was not aware that the UBI had a motion sensor. Does it? If so, will we/do we have access to it within custom behaviors? I don't recall seeing any mention of a motion sensor anywhere prior to this.

-Xathros
...OK Ubi, Sign this post
--
Xathros
Integrating UBI with ISY-994 HA Controller
http://www.xathros.com

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:10 am

xathros wrote:I was not aware that the UBI had a motion sensor. Does it? If so, will we/do we have access to it within custom behaviors? I don't recall seeing any mention of a motion sensor anywhere prior to this.

-Xathros


I was not aware either, however with it's plethora of sensors, light, pressure heat, sound, I could see where it might be capable of combining those things to be a motion sensor.

Taking that one step further, I could see where UBI might also be able to better sense who is passing by, based on their light block time (small or large person), pressure created by their passing (same = "size"), heat radiated (same = "size"), etc. ;)

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

xathrosUser avatar
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Republic of Vermont, USA

Post Posted » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

I would think that would take a lot of processing time dedicated to monitoring the sensors and watching for rapid changes. I don't know how quickly these sensors react to environmental changes. Sound and light I imagine are instant while temp and humidity may be far slower to react. Pressure, I have no idea. When I think of a motion sensor, I think Passive IR or Ultrasonic sensor and Ubi appears to have neither unless it is well camouflaged. :)
Last edited by xathros on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...OK Ubi, Sign this post
--
Xathros
Integrating UBI with ISY-994 HA Controller
http://www.xathros.com

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 pm

xathros wrote:I would think that would take a lot of processing time dedicated to monitoring the sensors and watching for rapid changes. I don't know how quickly these sensors react to environmental changes. Sound and light I imagine are instant while temp and humidity may be far slower to react. Pressure, I have no idea. When I think of a motion sensor, I think Passive IR or Ultrasonic sensor and Ubi appears to have neither unless it is well camouflaged. :)


I"m no scientist, but but doesn't ultrasonic involve the mic and speaker? Could UBI just constantly send out a ping to detect the room's atmosphere for that?

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

xathrosUser avatar
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Republic of Vermont, USA

Post Posted » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:27 pm

I believe it requires a mic array to detect motion/position. I too am far from knowledgeable in that area. :)
...OK Ubi, Sign this post
--
Xathros
Integrating UBI with ISY-994 HA Controller
http://www.xathros.com

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:12 pm

xathros wrote:I believe it requires a mic array to detect motion/position. I too am far from knowledgeable in that area. :)


blind people use 2 mics only about 6 inches from each other. ;)

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

xathrosUser avatar
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Republic of Vermont, USA

Post Posted » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Quite true. And, I vaguely remember someone saying that the Ubi has 2 mics so maybe this is possible. Guess we will just have to wait and see what evolves...

-Xathros
...OK Ubi, Sign this post
--
Xathros
Integrating UBI with ISY-994 HA Controller
http://www.xathros.com

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 pm

xathros wrote:Quite true. And, I vaguely remember someone saying that the Ubi has 2 mics so maybe this is possible. Guess we will just have to wait and see what evolves...

-Xathros


I really want to use ALL the sensors in UBI! I think they would come in VERY handy with my home automation, security, etc.! The motion sensing ability is a HUGE start!

devs?! :D - with sugar on top? - beta at min? ;)

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post Posted » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 am

We've heard from a number of people that "presence" is really good for a lot of systems to know. It'd be curious to think if motion or IR or other sensors would work well.

When I first saw the sensors working on the Ubi, I was obsessed. I could tell that my dishwasher ran for 187 minutes and had three distinct cycles that could be determined by the drop in dB level. Of course, I ran to my wife to share this AMAZING discovery only to get some rolling eyes.

What are you finding helpful now with the sensor data? Are you looking back over it?

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

saxnixUser avatar
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post Posted » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:58 pm

I was able to see that when my 9 year old son had a friend sleep over, that they were up talking until 3am. Little buggers.
I want the lifestyle The Jetson's and Back to the Future II promised me...

Currently have;
Ubi, LIFX bulbs, Doorbot
Waiting for;
LIFX (GU10 downlights), WigWag, SmartPlug, Neurio, Plugaway, Lockitron, Filterwatch

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:25 pm

saxnix wrote:I was able to see that when my 9 year old son had a friend sleep over, that they were up talking until 3am. Little buggers.


Now to access / hone this information. :-)

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

johan_skott
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Post Posted » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:38 pm

[quote="Jason"]

[*]Integrate with a SmartThings Device, you can tell ask Ubi to turn off the light, or have Ubi play music when you close your bathroom door


How can I make my Ubi play music when I'm going to poop?!

Serious question

Re: Ubi Feature List - What can the Ubi do?

thecolor
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Post Posted » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:46 pm

johan_skott wrote:
Jason wrote:
[*]Integrate with a SmartThings Device, you can tell ask Ubi to turn off the light, or have Ubi play music when you close your bathroom door


How can I make my Ubi play music when I'm going to poop?!

Serious question


put a motion sensor in the bowl, so that when an object passes thhe sensor, SmartThings or UBI will act on it.
I recommend of course, waterproofing the sensor.