General FAQ

Questions, comments, feature requests, anything and everything Ubi related. Post about how awesome your Ubi is or make a suggestion about what you think will take us there.

AuthorPost

General FAQ

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:37 pm

General Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the Ubi General FAQ. Here are some answer to some commonly asked questions. If this FAQ doesn't solve your issue or you still have a question, please feel free to post a topic or visit Support and create a ticket.

What is the Ubi?
The Ubi is a small, always-on, voice activated computer that plugs into your wall socket and connects to the internet via wifi performing a variety of tasks such as answering all kinds of questions, playing music on request, send emails and text messages, performing actions based on sensor values, setting up alarms and reminders, etc.

Does the Ubu come with any kind of warranty?
Yes, a one (1) year warranty.

What's inside the Ubi, what is it comprised of?
The Ubi contains a RikoMagic MK802IIIS 8GB version android mini pc, with a fully customized AOSP ROM that is attached to a PCB. This PCB contains multiple sensors such as temperature, humidity, sound level, light level and air pressure, a Kinetis Cortex-M4 MCU, an audio codec, USB hub controller and 2 microphones. These 2 components along with 2x 4W speakers, an Apple 10W USB Power Adapter and a plastic enclosure is what makes Ubi.

Deos the Ubi have any buttons?
Yes, it has one button in the top right corner with a backlit U. This is the Ubi button... press it once to mute it (green LED means mute) and once more to unmute (blue LED means unmute). You can press and hold the Ubi button for 3 seconds to enter setup mode (flashing blue LED).

What is the USB port for?
Currently the USB port is only used for development on our side to interact with the mini pc, we plan to use it to connect all sorts of peripherals and storage devices.

What is the audio jack for?
The audio jack is currently disabled to meet FCC regulations but once we add some features to it we will enable it. You will eventually be able to connect speakers to your Ubi.

Is there a maximum amount of Ubis I can connect at once, can they work together?
Theoretically there is no max but your router can only handle so much bandwidth. Your router's DHCP range, connection to internet or other router related settings can impose a cap on the amount of Ubis you can connect. We have 50 Ubis connected to 1 router (Asus RT-N66U) in our QC area on a 25mbps connection, all answering questions simelaneously to a recording, there is no lag. The Ubi to Ubi communication is limited at the moment and placing 2 near each other causes them both to trigger but you can add custom behaviours to make individual Ubis do things like make another Ubi talk.

Is the Ubi available in different languages?
Currently no, we plan to add other languages but it is not a high priority.

Can I make the microphone pick me up better?
Yes, you can change your sensitivity in the Ubi settings on the portal, a higher sensitivity means it can pick you up from further away but it is more susceptable background noise. Also try to place your Ubi a good 10 feet away from your TV, running water and the dishwasher are it's bane. We are working on DSP code to get this smoothed out and to greatly increase our speech recognition (very sorry if this annoys you). The max distance away from the Ubi that I have been able to achieve is 15 feet, with some peace and quiet.

Can I move my Ubi from one room to another?
Certainly, simply unplug it and move it to another wall socket, within range of your wifi ofcourse.

Can I bring my Ubi to another wifi in another location?
Absolutely, you will need to redo the setup on the new wifi. On the portal click Retry Setup below your Ubi's icon.

Does Ubi require I purchase a subscription or some kind of service contract?
Absolutely not!

How much power does the Ubi consume?
About 3W on idle and up to 8-9W when LED and speakers are going at once.

Does Ubi come with surge protection, what happens if theres a power outage?
Yes, Ubi comes with an FCC, UL and CE Apple power adapter that can handle a line surge. If there's a power outage your Ubi will be fine, you just have to wait for your modem/router to come back online.

Do you plan to release a battery pack?
Definitely

Can I change the "Ok Ubi" trigger to something else?
This is currently being worked, expect it in the near future.

Can I change the voice of Ubi?
Yes, there are 2 voices; Google voice and Kendra voice. Say "change voice" to toggle between the two voices.

Can I do anything remotely?
Sort of, you can setup a custom behaviour to message/email you based on sensor values, you can use the portal to make an HTTP request. We plan to have a smartphone app to communicate with the Ubi and expand upon our HTTP request framework.

Can I connect Ubi to other devices?
Yes, currently we support connecting a SmartThings device through the portal. You can connect your Ubi to your TV but it is not recommended at this point in time. We will be adding more devices that connect to Ubi through wifi over time, this includes the Belkin Wemo, hopefully NEST thermostats, UPnP/DLNA playback and control, etc.

Since Ubi runs android, can I install apps or update to the latest android OS?
All processing of requests is done on the cloud therefore we add features to Ubi by updating our cloud server. You can install apps but this requires connecting your Ubi to your TV and is not recommended right now because we can't support it. The mini pc has Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (API level 16) but there is no point at this time to upgrade. The Ubi app that resides on the mini PC is what connects to our portal.

Does the bluetooth adapter do anything?
Not right now, we may look at the possibility to pair certain simple devices such as speakers or mic.

Are there any privacy implementations in place? Does the device communicate securely?
Yes, the device is always on and listening but doesn't record any speech until the "Ok Ubi" trigger is activated. It will then capture the recording and securely send it to the cloud server for processing. All the data that is coming into portal is encrypted and all data that is personal in anyway is automatically anonymized. The Ubi can also be muted at any time too. Portal runs on a secured domain and as of mid april, the infamous Heartbleed Vulnerability has been patched and portal is now immune to it.

How do I implement custom behaviours?
A full guide will be upcoming.

Re: General FAQ

RedRamage

Post Posted » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:45 am

Just on random off the wall question: Why did the audio jack run afoul of FCC rules? Usually when I think FCC issues it involves radio communications, not physical line stuff. I know that you can't disobey the rules or anything if you want your device approved, I just found this odd.

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:35 am

An error from our manufacturer that went uncaught.

John OUser avatar

Post Posted » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Jason wrote:An error from our manufacturer that went uncaught.

I would be okay if the UBI did not meet the FCC susceptibility mask, but not so okay about it not meeting the emissions mask. Can you let us know which it failed? If it's susceptibility I would suspect that many of us would be willing to accept the potential interference to be able to stream music out the speakers... This is a major issue for me - one of the reasons I backed the UBI on kickstarter, so long ago now...

Is there a change to the hardware that we can make? I'm not afraid of SMT soldering... :D

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:41 am

The music side of Ubi is getting some love, we want to focus on making a really good music experience, the idea was in the pipeline but had to be pushed back due to other more important things.

FCC testing for a slightly revised product is being done as we speak. Ubi will ship to more countries.

ryanUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Jason wrote:The music side of Ubi is getting some love, we want to focus on making a really good music experience, the idea was in the pipeline but had to be pushed back due to other more important things.

FCC testing for a slightly revised product is being done as we speak. Ubi will ship to more countries.

So if it's a hardware issue are those of us with Generation 1 units screwed? :shock:

jdeatschUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:43 pm

ryan wrote:
Jason wrote:The music side of Ubi is getting some love, we want to focus on making a really good music experience, the idea was in the pipeline but had to be pushed back due to other more important things.

So if it's a hardware issue are those of us with Generation 1 units screwed? :shock:

I can't believe they'd do that Ryan,

Jim.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
. Scott Kalitta

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:07 pm

There are some experimental features that might not work with some iterations versions but nothing that we wouldn't resolve if they caught on.