Which IVONA Voice do you like most?

Questions, comments, feature requests, anything and everything Ubi related. Post about how awesome your Ubi is or make a suggestion about what you think will take us there.

Choose your favorite IVONA voice

English-American Salli
47%
English-American Kimberly
No votes
English-American Kendra
5%
English-American Jennifer
No votes
English-British Amy
24%
English-British Emma
3%
Male Voice (Post your choice)
16%
Other (Post you choice)
5%

Total votes : 38

AuthorPost

Re: Which IVONA Voice do you like most?

Bryce

Post Posted » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:34 pm

I have to admit. You have have dreams of owning your personal JARVIS, then Brian is the clear choice.

codeStrider

Post Posted » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:40 pm

English, British, Brian.

Need to have the butler. I've put in quite a few of the common phrases he would be saying and all of them sound amazing. If we could control what the audio cue is so instead of the beep it's a vocal reply that would be fantastic.

"Ok Ubi."
"At your service, sir..."

ryanUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Any idea if there will be a new voice? My wife is not a fan of UBI in it's current state.

saxnixUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:12 pm

codeStrider wrote:English, British, Brian.

Need to have the butler. I've put in quite a few of the common phrases he would be saying and all of them sound amazing. If we could control what the audio cue is so instead of the beep it's a vocal reply that would be fantastic.

"Ok Ubi."
"At your service, sir..."

I like that :)
I want the lifestyle The Jetson's and Back to the Future II promised me...

Currently have;
Ubi, LIFX bulbs, Doorbot
Waiting for;
LIFX (GU10 downlights), WigWag, SmartPlug, Neurio, Plugaway, Lockitron, Filterwatch

ryanUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:14 pm

I just realized IVONA "an amazon company", will they even license it now considering they are coming out with ECHO or has that ship already sailed?

codeStrider

Post Posted » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:57 am

Amazon is known for working with other companies. I doubt they will choose not to license a product to a competitor if they can make money off of it. It's also entirely different companies managed by the same parent company.

CosmicPuppyTerry

Post Posted » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:58 pm

"Brian (UK)", please.

I like a selection of male voices; I had a great Aussie voice on my TomTom GPS, but I presume it was all pre-recorded pre-set phrases.

Thus, of the Ivona samples, Brian is pleasing to me.

TKassis

Post Posted » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:37 pm

So are we getting an updated voice?

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:48 pm

We are still looking into voices. We're looking at tackling some other issues before getting onto voice but these results where interesting.

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:41 pm

I am thinking that setting Ubi up to use whatever voice the user wants shouldn't be too difficult. Ubi runs android, if you made it to where Ubi runs whatever voice the Android platform is using, then Ubi could use whatever voice you assign it to.

Here is an example. I use Tasker on my phone. In Tasker, whatever voice you install will show up on this list....

If I were to download any of the Ivona voices, they would appear on this list. I am free to download whatever voice I want and Tasker will respond accordingly. I think Ubi should also do this. That way in the longterm, Leor and his people will not have to address this again and can save time by allowing the user to choose what voice they want.... not spending resources and manpower on having his team integrate and release voices individually.
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

jdeatschUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:51 pm

Indeed so.

It's not like Leor and his folks don't already have a LOT to do to get Ubi to where it needs to be and STAY there.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
. Scott Kalitta

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm

jdeatsch wrote:Indeed so.

It's not like Leor and his folks don't already have a LOT to do to get Ubi to where it needs to be and STAY there.

Agreed, this is why doing it as I suggested above would be good. They wouldn't have to waste anymore time on releasing voices. They can move on to more pressing matters.
"A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them." -James Madison

jdeatschUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:08 am

Just so Dominique,

That is a VERY clever way of getting 'round it. How might we get 'into' Ubi's Android OS to effect this?

Jim
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
. Scott Kalitta

DominiqueUser avatar

Post Posted » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:40 am

jdeatsch wrote:Just so Dominique,

That is a VERY clever way of getting 'round it. How might we get 'into' Ubi's Android OS to effect this?

Jim

Well I do not know the interworkings or code that Ubi uses when it comes to voice. However getting it to use what voice is assigned to the Android OS is how this could be accomplished. I assume that the Ubi voice is its own entity and takes over the speech engine of the Android OS. That is why you hear Ubi's voice instead of the default Android OS voice. So getting rid of that and programming it to use the default speech engine is how it can be done. However this is something that Ubi devs would have to open up on their end. If they did all you would need to do is download and install any TTS voice you wanted to use. Getting it to show in the portal to change it is something entirely different. However you could use VNC Viewer to go into Android OS settings to change it.

LeorUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 pm

As an embedded voice on a device, we need to license these voices. However, with regular Android access, you can go in and modify this (possibly but not recommended...!). Getting the voice to be tunable remotely without VNC can be more of a challenge, which is what slows down deployment.