SmartThings Integration Guide

Questions, comments, feature requests, anything and everything Ubi related. Post about how awesome your Ubi is or make a suggestion about what you think will take us there.

AuthorPost

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Thu May 01, 2014 12:52 pm

We are pleased to annouce our official launch of the SmartThings Integration.

So you just purchased a new SmartThings Multi-Sensor or Motion Detector, etc and now you want to make your Ubi control these devices. This guide will show you how to setup any SmartThings devices with our portal cloud and how to implement some basic custom behaviours.

First you will need to create an account for SmartThings at https://shop.smartthings.com/#/register. Once you have an account you will need to add a location, and add your hub/devices to your account so that Ubi Portal may authorize these devices. Download the SmartThings phone app to make this process easier.

Now that you have a SmartThings account and have added a location and a device, go to Portal and log in. Now click Add Device then click Add SmartThings Device.

You will be redirected to the SmartThings site to enter your email and password for the SmartThings account you just created.

After entering your email and password you will be presented with a location and device selection screen. Choose the location you have set earlier and choose the devices you wish Ubi Portal to access.

*Note: If you have a SmartThings account already, you can add extra SmartThings devices by clicking “Authorize SmartThings” on the same window.
*Note2: If the process does not complete within 30sec please do the following:
  • Redo the Oauth by clicking on "Authorize SmartThings" and this time click on "Deny" button.
  • Go back to Ubi portal and Add SmartThings account again. This time click on "Authorize" button.

Now select the devices you wish to add to Ubi portal. The items with the Ubi icon you see in the picture are prebuilt phrases from the SmartThings app, add them as well if you'd like.

After the SmartThings items are added successfully you will be able to see all available devices in the SmartThings hub which you can access from the homepage. You can check the status of each device and control specific devices like SmartPower outlets and Z-Wave Switches. You can also remove devices or completely remove your SmartThings access. This will subsequently delete all your rules that are using those devices.

Now when you login you can click on SmartThings to view the status of your devices.

Custom Behaviours
We will now add a custom behaviour using your Ubi as a trigger and a SmartThings devices as an action. Custom behaviours are associated with individual Ubi units so at homepage click on an Ubi then click the Add New Behaviour button. You will get a window to build your custom behaviour. For trigger choose "Ubi", then chose "Utterance" for the type and enter "Turn on the light" without quotes or "(turn on the light)|(turn on the lights)|(turn the light on)" uses regular expressions and can cover multiple speech patterns in a single behaviour.

For action chose "ST - SmartPower Outlet", then "Turn on the light" for the action. We can also add an utterance to make Ubi speak something when it turns on the light, a confirmation phrase. Under Action choose your Ubi then "Voice announcement" for add an action and enter "Light has been turned on" in the text box.

Now the same thing to turn the light off using "(turn off the light)|(turn off the lights)|(turn the light off)" as our trigger.

We can use a SmartThings device as a trigger and make Ubi says something when the trigger activates. Great for alerts. We can setup a SmartThings motion sensor in the garage and when it trips we can make Ubi say a phrase. Select a device from the homepage and click Add New Behaviour. For trigger select "ST - SmartSense Motion" and "Active" for the type. Now for Action select an Ubi then select "Voice annoucement" for the type and enter "Garage door is open" in the text box.

Re: SmartThings Integration Guide

Yaxmir

Post Posted » Mon May 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi there,

I tried following the steps, however the option to add the smarttings device keeps on being shown as "coming soon"

Please advise

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Mon May 05, 2014 4:15 pm

What's your portal account name, I can look into it for ya? You can PM it to me if you'd like or post here.

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Mon May 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Please note: If you have created a brand new portal account you will not have the ability to add SmartThings until we manually add the permission to your account. We are in the process of fixing this bug and new portal accounts will have the SmartThings permission very shortly. Fix should be live on Friday, May 9 or ealier.

If you have created a brand new portal account and don't have the ability to add SmartThings, please send me a Private Message (link under my avatar) or post in this thread and I will fix it immediately.

Very sorry for the inconvenience.

thecolor

Post Posted » Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm

As a side note, I've noticed that if you add new things to your smartthings you have to uninstall smartthings on the UBI and reinstall smartthings on the UBI to see the new items on the smartthing UBI list.

this might be something to add to the UBI in the future to perhaps poll the smartthings hub every now and then to check for a new thing

tduffy

Post Posted » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:22 am

I'm having difficulty getting all my smartthings to show up in Ubi. When I add the ST app, all the items that I authorized show in the list. But when I click on some and select "Add Item to my Account", nothing happens. The portal just hangs, and the items never get added. What am I doing wrong?

thecolor

Post Posted » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:26 pm

tduffy wrote:I'm having difficulty getting all my smartthings to show up in Ubi. When I add the ST app, all the items that I authorized show in the list. But when I click on some and select "Add Item to my Account", nothing happens. The portal just hangs, and the items never get added. What am I doing wrong?

Are you trying to add a "thing" or an individual "hub"?

When adding the "HUB" to the UBI list, UBI should import all "things" you have added to the "HUB" at that time.

If you add additional "thing(s)" after you have added the "HUB" to UBI, you have to uninstall the "HUB" you added to UBI and re-install it again (to the UBI) so UBI will list all the "new" "thing(s)" you've added to the "HUB".

Hope that helps.

JasonUser avatar
Admin/Team Ubi

Post Posted » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Get the things going with the app meaning connect the hub and devices, with location all that stuff. Then come to portal and follow this guide. Sometimes a browser session can expire which is related to our server load balancing, it used to be much worse but now it's almost perfect... almost. So simply press Ctrl+F5 then log out then back in and that page should be right up to date.

Also you may have click Deny authorization onm the SmartThings page from our setup then re add the smartthings and click authorize.

NickWUser avatar

Post Posted » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:17 am

I thought I'd post a link to a post that RedDamage made regarding adding devices to an already existing SmartThings app.

Re: Edit SmartThings Setup in Portal

once448

Post Posted » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:17 am

The cellular signal booster for home will be your best choice,you can go to jammerall.com have a look at